In 1948, the Department of International Relations was established at the University of Dhaka, where courses for Chinese and French were introduced the next year. The year after the Language Movement of 1952, German was added to the courses. In 1964 these courses were separated from International Relations, and a Department of Foreign Languages was established. Russian and Turkish were introduced in the next year, and Japanese in 1972. In 1973 Spanish was introduced to bring the total number of languages taught to six.